Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Thing 2 - Device Exploration

Thing 2: Mobile Device Tips

I have to admit that I was PRETTY EXCITED to dive in to this "Thing".  I would consider myself a smartphone novice - I entered the smartphone world on Black Friday 2013 by purchasing an iPhone 5s.  In contrast, I would consider myself an Apple "moderate".  I am on my third generation of iPod Touch; I have used iTunes in three Windows operating systems and felt I had a good handle on what my iPod Touch could do.

I should also preface this mobile experience in stating that I still live in what I would consider a "multi-device" world.  My household has four Apple devices, non of them a computer.  I have a Nano for music; a 2nd generation iPod Touch for video and games that still work without updates (claimed by the three year old); a 5th generation iPod Touch; a new iPhone 5s.  The latter two devices will feature heavily in my exploration of 23 Mobile Things.

I use my iPhone for calling, photo/video, Facebook, Pinterest and one or two other things.  I have only downloaded 9 apps that were not stock on the phone.  I will concede that this admission is weird.  I am concerned about the storage size of my phone (only 8 GB).  I am concerned about my data use.  I am part of a shared plan and I want to get a feel for how much data I use before I go "lock, stock, and barrel" on app downloads.  And my phone IS NOT A TOY for my three year old - no games, she leaves it alone.

My 5th generation iPod Touch is much larger in terms of storage and does my "heavy lifting".  I've been using a Touch for e-mail, apps, Facebook, and a host of other things since 2010.  I have learned different features as my use has grown and as updates have changed the iOS system.

Back to "Thing 2":
I started my inquiry with the 10 minute iOS 7 Hidden Features video.  I felt the video was a wash in terms of learning "new" content.  I do not use Siri; I do not care about Apple's dynamic wallpaper.  I DID learn about the level feature on my iPhone.  Unfortunately, the compass is not a dedicated app on my iPod Touch.  This was one of many reminders that iOS 7 is not always the same across devices.  I waited for information on "closing apps", but that information was not included in the video.

The one feature I found in the YouTube clip was the Safari feature to "grab" Tweets by using the Shared Links icon.  I tend to forget about the new technologies in favor of "tried and true" (like Facebook).  This tool will make it "easy" for me to see what is happening on Twitter without slogging through Tweet after Tweet - and feeling overwhelmed when I step away for a few days.

After the video, I moved on to the link from the Apple site with features for the 5s.    I discovered many of the features highlighted by Apple on accident the first couple days using my phone and again when I upgraded to iOS 7 on my Touch.  Things that were new - Mapping pictures.  I have not figured out HOW I will use this feature beyond a folder on my phone or my Touch yet, but I tested it with our family vacation photos taken at different parks at Disney World.  Cool feature.

One feature I was not using in iOS 7 was the dedicated Calendar feature.  I imported my Google Calendar into my phone (I use the Google Calendar app on my Touch).  It is weird and I do not know how I feel about it.  However - if it edits well, I WILL choose to embrace the new look.  The app for the Touch is glitchy and I have found myself using Safari OR using a computer to access my calendar until this point.

I also skimmed the "15 tips" and still didn't know how or why I would need to close apps.  Until I read the Thing 2 post, I assumed that pressing the Home button DID close apps.  So.  I Googled.  After reading two blogs, a short article, and a posting on the Apple Support, I still haven't found a "satisfactory answer" as to WHY one closes apps except to preserve battery life.  I did close several apps on my Touch and this is a feature I will continue to use!!  

Ultimately, I was hoping I would learn MORE tips and tricks - I was a bit disappointed with Thing 2.  If I used my newer devices for music, if I used Siri, if I only owned one device and used it for everything, I believe this Thing would have been more fulfilling.  It turns out I actually do know how to get a lot out of my iDevices.  I just didn't know that I knew so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment