Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Thing 3

Well.  After bearing my soul about my devices and device usage in "Thing 2", I am feeling more "on task" for Thing 3.

Before I dive into the app I used, I must say that I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted to try out Google Goggles.  I REALLY wanted to try this app.  However, the two "Android" devices we own in our household are proprietary and do not have a camera and I was not able to connect with my sister to use her Android device.  I WILL be keeping that app on my radar in the event that I get my hands on an Android with a camera!

Now; Thing 3.  I tried StandApp.  On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give this a 7 1/2.  I liked the concept and I really wanted to like the app but...back to the beginning.  I liked the five minute segments of "stand time" and felt the exercises I experienced were good and not "too weird" for a public place.  I would say that the app was designed with a cubicle farm in mind.  For me, this was a "wash" - I think it is great that all the exercises can be done in a small space, but it seems to "limit" or promote itself as an "office type" app.  I liked the five minute timer for the "stand time".  I did not like the death knell video at the beginning of the app.  If you are using this app, you already know too much sitting is bad for you.  I was also not crazy about the alarm feature.  I originally set the alarm for a few days a week - days that I am home with my daughter.  The alarm would go off a couple times, but if you don't respond to the alarm, it seems like the timer quits.  It would be nice if the alarm features had more "teeth", like the alarm would keep going off until you cleared it on your phone/device.

I WILL keep the app on my phone.  I like using it at my practicum site when I am doing computer work.  It reminds me to get up and explore what else is happening in the library.  I can see the value in an office environment; it does not work for me at home.  In the workplace, I know there ARE programs out there for computer work stations - the youth librarian at my practicum site noted that her last library had pop-ups on their computers, reminding them to take a "wrist break".  This app could work in a library setting - I don't know if it is the "best" product for the job.


No comments:

Post a Comment