Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Thing 13

Thing 13 or "Presentations" was a tough Thing for me to work through.  Why?  Because I am not doing my 23 Mobile Things on a TABLET!!!  I really wanted to try Educreations but it is ONLY available for the iPad.  I tried Haiku Deck, but at this time, you can only create on an iPad.  I did create a short presentation on Deck, but it would have been so much better if I had been on a tablet.

OK.  Now that I ranted about not having a tablet to try this Thing, on to my experiences with the apps.

As I said above, I was not able to try Educreations.  It looked like it was going to be so cool...

After my first experience (trying to download Educreations), I was excited that I could download Haiku Deck to my phone.  My excitement was very short-lived - at this time, one can only VIEW presentations, not create them on an iPhone.  The app assures me this feature is coming sometime in the near future.  I did have the opportunity to try Haiku Deck on a borrowed iPad.  The library I am doing my practicum at has an iPad that belongs to the library and I was given permission to download Haiku Deck and try it.  It was so fun!  I liked the clean simplicity of the presentation, the ability to drill down into images that fit with my pretend topic.  I can see myself using this app again.  However, due to my limited access to the app, I am unsure if Haiku Deck is best for every presentation application.  I wasn't able to explore more deeply - can you add your own images?  your own tables and charts?  This is an app I will keep on my radar for when I have a tablet at my disposal.

My third choice for Thing 13 was Deck.  Surprisingly, I feel that this app has the most promise in my life at the time of this blog.  Deck really is like a streamlined automated PowerPoint presentation.  I created a pretend presentation on my Touch with this app.  I liked the simple interface - tap on a "bar", type your information, move to the next bar...select a theme, and preview.  I used the paper airplane theme, which added "animation" without me going through the trouble of learning how to "animate" the presentation through keystrokes or another program.  This app would work equally as well as Haiku Deck for certain presentations.  My concern, which I was not able to answer on the Touch, was "how does one import charts, pictures, or other media?".  Maybe this is a feature that is not available on the Touch but is available on the iPad.  I can see myself using this app in the future.

Like other Things, and I'm sure most of Things I have left to explore, the nature of the device is beginning to color my experience with 23 Mobile Things.  For these suggested apps, an iPad was an apple and my Touch was an Ugly-fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment