Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Thing 22

Thing 22 or Discovering Apps

Time for another "honest blog" - I was not excited about this "thing".  Due to the nature of being a student at St. Kate's, I feel like I am already being deluged with e-content, app or otherwise.  I've also tried to shy away from actively seeking new apps.  Perhaps I can explain this better below.

For this app, I looked at Apps Gone Free.  There is nothing "wrong" with this app.  I like it "OK".  The synopsis of apps is adequate; it seems like the steps from viewing the app to the App Store is seamless.  But the reality is that I already have more apps than I use and when I am currently seeking out apps, they are for something specific (like a class application).  I may come back to this app in the future, but right now this app is just "too much" for me.  Then again, I do have the push notification activated (for purposes of this blog).  Maybe I would not feel so pressured if I turned off the push notification :).  Although it is not for me, I would recommend this app for a person trying to maximize their Apple experience - especially those people that have or take the time to look at "new" apps on a regular basis.

There is another product that I have used since 2010 for app discovery, although I have used it exclusively as a webpage.  Free App a Day, currently run by AppxChange, was my "go to" source.  For a while, I received daily e-mails listing the free app of the day.  Before my daughter became mobile (and before graduate school), I was more diligent with the webpage and the e-mails I received from the page.  Several of my "old school" apps, including Sunday Lawn were apps promoted on this site.  I used this resource to "try things" for myself and my niece and nephew before purchase.  I like the e-mail "push" system.  Then I feel like I can look now or look later.  If I clear the push notification on the Apps Gone Free, I never go back to look when I have time (unless I open the app by accident).  With an e-mail, it is on "my time".  There is a FreeAppADay app, but I have not tried it.  I cannot speak to the usability of the website these days, but I have used it extensively in the past and would visit it again, once I find myself ready to embark on "new app discovery".

No comments:

Post a Comment