Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Thing 9

Thing 9 - PHOTOS.

Since I'm feeling a bit stressed about "goings on" in my life as a library student right now, let's cut right to the chase.  I did not like any of the "proposed apps" for this Thing.  I just could not get in to any of them.  I have a hard enough time deciding what kind of filter to use when I remember to use Instagram.

BUT...I have two apps to offer up as alternatives for Thing 9.  App One happens to be the ONLY app I have discovered, downloaded and USED from the AppsGoneFree app.  The app is called Poetics. Basically, this is an app in which you take photos OR use photos from your device and add "magnetic poetry" to your photo.

This is a screenshot of the app:

As you can see, there are many editing options for the photo, similar to other photo editing apps.

This is (hopefully) a link to my completed Poetics photo in Instagram - because DESPITE my learning through 23 Mobile Things, I can't get my own picture off Instagram at the time of this blog post.  Grrr.
Poetics Photo

This is a "fun" app that incorporates photo editing.  I can see a market for the tweeny/teenies and also those who THINK they might want to scrapbook but have no time, patience, or inclination (me).  I think this app would be really fun for book advertising; like one sentence or five words to describe a book (preferably new books) and post the photos on your library "Internet site", whether the website, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Flickr, whatever.
Poetics is not always free.  It was free during the promotion from AppsGoneFree.

The second app I tried for this Thing is thanks to my 7 year old nephew.  He recommended Pic Collage when he and his sister were asking what all the apps were on my Touch.  Apparently they use this app on their iPads at school - my niece and nephew attend a 1 to 1 school, except they are young, so their devices stay at school.  I would say this is more of a traditional picture collage app.  I only played a bit with this one, but I gave access to my photos, chose three, and made a quick photo collage of my daughter.  In some ways, it is like a scrapbook, infographic, poster app.  You can make a basic "photo collage" (think a Christmas Card photo collage) or use pre-made "posters" (think Pinterest inspirational pins) and add your own embellishments.  I haven't figured out exactly what to DO with this app yet.  Maybe this is how pinners make such pretty pins on Pinterest - I don't know.  BUT, students are using this app in school for something.  At least my niece and nephew are; with their iPads.  At school.  And at home with their iPods.

This is an example of a Pic Collage (the pretty kind).  This is not my OWN creation - mine was not pretty like these.


Pic Collage IS free, but there are in-app purchases available.  This would be something that would need to be addressed in a school environment or if the library was using "library owned devices" with this app.

No comments:

Post a Comment