Thursday, May 22, 2014

THE LAST THING - Thing 23

Woo Hoo!  The LAST THING!  Thing 23 - Evaluation

Based on the prompts, here are some of my thoughts about the process:

First, 23 Mobile Things Minnesota was not a "choice" in my particular case - I was participating in this project as a class assignment.  One, this meant that I needed to work through the "things" faster than the actual deadline for the project.  Two, I actually had an outlet beyond the blog to talk about this experience in a classroom setting.  Would I participate in this type of project again?  Sure - even on my own :).

The biggest thing that surprised me or became a constant reminder through this process is that NOT ALL DEVICES ARE CREATED EQUAL.  I did my 23 things on Apple products, a 5th generation Touch and a iPhone 5.  SEVERAL of the things in categories like education were iPad only apps.  I couldn't even SEE them in my AppStore on either my phone or my Touch.  While this may not be a barrier for most people doing the 23 things, I think it is important to remember that "just because it is an iOS app, doesn't mean it will work on all Apple products".  I understand that the vision was probably that participants had access to an iPad...and I DID roll with it and did what I could with my non-iPad iOS experience.  It was more a disappointment in not being able to try suggested apps rather than missing out on the 23 things.

I don't know if I had a favorite "new" app, but I am still ranting on the YALSA Teen Book Finder.  Really.  Someone needs to do an intervention in the IT/tech department at YALSA...

One sentence to describe my learning experience:

It was fun, challenging, eye-opening, and a great excuse to step beyond my normal mobile device habits!

All in all, it was a good experience for me.  This was my first BLOG, my first experience with products beyond dedicated apps - for photos, video, audio - and for items like HootSuite.  I didn't like everything I learned about but I WILL be using Road Ninja on a regular basis!!

No comments:

Post a Comment