Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Thing 8

I've been holding off on Thing 8 because I wanted to find a product that included Instagram as part of the sites that are aggregated by the said product.  I have ONE friend/family that dropped Facebook for Instagram and I am feeling the need to use Instagram as a way of sharing my daughter's life with him (he lives in California).

In the one aspect where I wanted to succeed, I failed for Thing 8.  I tried Hoot Suite and Cloze.  I kept going back to HootSuite, Googling about HootSuite, looking for a way to combine everything.  It looks like you can POST to Instagram from Hootsuite, but you can't view other people's content from Instagram from HootSuite (another major feature I was looking for).

To be honest, I liked and disliked the HootSuite app - I liked the presentation of information relayed back to me from Facebook on the app.  Facebook has screwed up what posts I see on my Touch or Phone vs. a PC with it's new algorithms or whatever system it is using to filter things FOR ME.  I did not like the idea of trying to manage my digital life from the app.  I felt the website (or do they call it a dashboard?) does a much better job of laying out what HootSuite is trying to manage for you.

That being said, if I DID have a job/career where I was in charge of several media platforms for a library, I WOULD use HootSuite to distribute the message.  I like that you can set when and what types of content you want delivered when to social media outlets.  In my personal life, I do not need HootSuite.  I barely tweet, I hardly use Instagram, and I use Facebook daily.  My level of "leveraging" social media does not warrent a product like HootSuite.  But maybe someday...:).

No comments:

Post a Comment