Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Thing 15

Thing 15 - Infographics

This Thing was really a bust for me.  In the spirit of honesty, I am at the end of the semester and not as excited to dig and dig for something I like to replace the app I don't like.  On to the apps.

One way this Thing was a bust for me was that I could only FIND ONE OF THE APPS on my iPod Touch. Once again, I don't have an iPad.  The ONLY app my iTunes Store would recognize was info.Graphics. So, I tried info.Graphics.

The app is just "OK".  It is easy to navigate, sorted by general categories like Technology, Movies, or Social Media.  The infographics offered are OK.  The options to "export" are OK - camera roll, Facebook or Twitter.  OK.

What I didn't like:  The app didn't have very many choices in terms of infographic availability.  There are tons and tons of infographics out there - why just these few?  The search function is non-existent - browse the featured infographics or don't look at any.  The "share" feature has no choice for exporting to an e-mail.  Why?  Searching Pinterest will create a better selection of infographics than this app.

Where I think this app has potential:  I think this app is a good tool for teaching students (or adults) about infographics.  What are the things that make an effective infographic?  What features need to be present to call a poster an infographic?  What types of industries use infographics?  This app works well for this application because the selection size is small.  If students were allowed to pick their own infographic from this app, it would not take much work for the instructor to find it.  This might be a decent app for examining and explaining infographics, but it is not good for finding information about a topic through an infographic.

No comments:

Post a Comment